Monday, March 29, 2010

Spring is Here | Carrot Pineapple Cuppies


To say that this is the best Carrot Cake I have tasted; would be an understatement. - I can take it or leave it when it comes to Carrot Cake, because it can easily be a dense, dry hockey puck depending on the recipe.

But Ina Garten can do no wrong in my eyes when it comes to recipe's, so she was the first resource I turned to when I decided to make cupcakes. Due to the high caloric content of these cupcakes, I used smaller cupcake liners [and will begrudgingly give some away to friends and fam]. -

Although I love Ina's recipes, I did tweak it a bit. The original recipe called for 1 1/3 cup of Vegetable Oil, and I used 1 cup of Applesauce, and 1/3 cup of oil. I did this because the addition of applesauce makes for an extremely moist cake, and it can also act as a fat replacement in most baking recipes. If you like your sweets on the sweeter side; use regular applesauce. If you like them on the milder side, use sugar-free applesauce.

I also added pineapple, because it gives it some nice texture if you are foregoing nuts and raisins [like I did].

This stuff literally just melts in your mouth. The prep time is about 10 minutes, and the bake-time is about 30 depending on your oven. - I got these cute little sugar "thingies" from my local bakery supply store, along with the yellow cupcake liners.

Carrot Pineapple Cupcakes {Adapted from Ina Garten}
Ingredients:
2 Cups Sugar
1 Cup Applesauce
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
1 1/2 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
3 Extra Large Eggs
2 Cups All Purpose Flour
2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Soda
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
3 Cups Grated Carrots
1/2 Cup Pineapple

Frosting:
1/2 lb Butter
8oz Cream Cheese
1lb Box Confectioners Sugar
1tsp Pure Vanilla Extract

Instructions: 

Preheat oven to 350

Beat oil, applesauce, vanilla, and sugar either with a mixer [paddle attachment], or by hand with a rubber spatula. Slowly add eggs one at a time. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. With the mixer set to low speed, add half of the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. If you are mixing by hand, use slow, steady strokes, as you don't want to over-mix the batter causing it to be dry, and tough.

Add the carrots, and pineapple to the remainder of the dry flour mixture, and mix well. Pour that mixture into the batter, and mix until just combined. Again, making sure not to over-work the batter.

Line your muffin pan with cupcake liners, and pour until just under full, they don't rise entirely too much, so don't be afraid to add a little more batter than you normally would.

Bake the cupcakes on 350 for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

For the frosting;  cream together sugar, butter, and vanilla, then slowly add confectioners sugar until mixed well.

15 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ignore my previous comment, cause the pictures didnt appear when i first launched the page, but im now seeing the pics..........looks yummo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Those sugar "thingies" are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi My name is Alean from Detroit. You had a picture posted with a pair of Ralph Lauren black motorcycle boots. Can you tell me where you purchased them? PLEASE !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Cuz, Myeshia told me she followed you and I came by to see wut it was all about. Great work, beautifully done! Can't wait to try out the carrot cake recipe! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh NOOOO
    I LOVE carrot cake even more than red velvet or chocolate cake!

    Yummy, yummy! Pass some this way, please:-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so going to make these for Easter! How many does this recipe yield?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are so cute, and look delish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Seygra20 Thanks Chica! I think something was up with Blogger yesterday!

    @BeautyXchangeGirl Aren't they cute? Cheap too, I think I paid like $1.50 for a dozen of them.

    @Anonymous Hey! I got those boots maybe a month-2months ago at DSW

    @Kim Hi cuzzzzin!!! I looked at that and said; "hey that's my cuzzin" lolll

    @Chrissystina I have to admit. I have been eating these for breakfast too. lol You have to make these one day!

    @bonni Great idea! They are perfect for easter! The recipe yields about 26 cupcakes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @telltammy Tam you have to try the applesauce, it makes cakes soooo soft it's insane!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made these for Easter. (Like I said I would) They were a HUGE hit! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just tried these and I have to agree, they were amazing. I've tried many versions of carrot cake. These were the most moist. I did add some flax seed meal and a bit of brandy to satisfy my own personal taste, plus I had some batter left over, so I had cupcakes and an 8" square cake. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! These came out great, moist and delicious. Thanks for the fabolous recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nikooooooleeee!!! OMG!!! Just made these today...and added a lil pineapple juice to batter...DIVINE!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails